Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Busy busy...

It has been entirely too long since I posted. I blame it on working full time...don't get me wrong, I love my job, but in the summers it just seems like I have so much more time to get things done! :) There will be a series of posts going up over the next five or six days hopefully catching you up on everything that has been going on. Which is really just more weddings and some SALTHAWK FOOTBALL! :)

Our Labor Day weekend was a busy one and we were all over the map. We'll start out with Friday though...my folks picked me up at school and we rode up to KC to watch Joe Henry and the rest of the Salthawk football team square off against Rockhurst High. Rockhurst is quickly becoming one of our rivals because every year both teams are guaranteed a good game. Of course I wish we would have come away from this victorious, but overall I think the boys were pleased with the way they played, and if not for just a couple plays turning out a little differently (and maybe some magic energy showing up in the 4th), our boys could have just as easily won. However, after the game, Joe did proclaim them to appear to be "the happiest losing team ever." :) They really hung with Rockhurst, who made it very clear prior to the game "we are returning 15 of our starters, we are nationally ranked, we are going to dominate you," etc. etc....so to know that we led a few times and gave them a bit of a scare was a good feeling.

IMG_3079
A little pre-game warm up!

IMG_3096
I love the run-through signs...seeing them bust through that is one of my favorite parts. Must be the cheerleader in me. :)
IMG_3114
Joe Henry is the cute one in the #82 costume. Just kidding...I know they are called uniforms...I just feel like he isn't old enough to be playing varsity high school football.

IMG_3126
Getting the tackle...he is a force to be reckoned with, what with his big booty and low center of gravity and all. :)

IMG_3139
Friday night lights!

IMG_3194

IMG_3200
He used to be one of those little ball boys...so excited to someday be the big football player. Man how time flies. 

Joe Henry had quite the cheering section and of course we got plenty of pictures of everyone after the game. Needless to say JoeJoeBeans was one of the last ones to get back to the locker room....here are just a few pictures of his fans.

IMG_3209
The Peterman clan were there! 

IMG_3212
The obligatory pic with the 'rents. :)

IMG_3213
My little brother who is not so little anymore. 

IMG_3215
Callie Reber-Dower was there cheering on baby Joe! 

IMG_3216
Most of the crew minus a few!

IMG_3222
One of my favorite pics of Joe and Savannah. Right after this she started yelling "It smells, it smells so bad, get it off, get it off, get it off." I can attest to the fact that it did smell, considering I could smell him (and I'm sure his helmet) from behind my camera a few feet away. Ew!

So I just did a "preview" of the post and realized how ENORMOUS those pictures are. I am using flickr for the first time to post my pictures since my picasa albums are full and I don't want to pay for more storage. I am going to try and figure out how to load smaller pictures for this next series. Robby pulled into KC around 11:30 Friday night and after debating whether or not we should head on to St. Louis or wait until morning (which was really me asking to get on the road and him telling me that was crazy talk) we decided to go over to his sister's house, sleep for about five hours, then hit the road. 

We headed out for Jeff and Carey's wedding bright and early the next day! We got to St. Louis around 11 or so and were able to get checked in right away at our awesome downtown hotel. I promptly took a two and a half hour nap while Robby went to the rehearsal. The dinner that night was at this really neat restaurant called Sage down by the brewery. It was DELICIOUS and I highly recommend it to anyone who will be in that area. Here are a few pics from that night...
IMG_3233

IMG_3236
Jeff and Carey's relationship first blossomed at the Hawk (as so many do...) so Will and Katie had these t-shirts made for them. So great! :) (And don't worry...they are getting the spelling error fixed)

IMG_3245
These boys have been together forever (minus the old guy in the back....he is new to the crew.:)).

The next day was the wedding and it was gorgeous! I feel like this day had been a long time in the coming, and it surpassed every expectation we could have had for it. The venue was a place called 9th Street Abbey. It was an old church that had been turned into an event space. It was absolutely beautiful! The space doubled as both the ceremony site and the reception room, so during the changeover everyone headed out to this really great brick courtyard for cocktail hour.

IMG_3249

IMG_3267
One of my favorite parts of a wedding...watching the bride walk down the aisle with her dad. It is one of my favorite memories of our wedding. :)

IMG_3274

IMG_3276
Almost every picture I have from the ceremony and the reception, Carey is laughing in....to say she was happy to be marrying Jeff would be an understatement.

IMG_3289
After the ceremony, when they had walked back, Carey squealed, pulled Jeff "out of view" and started hugging and kissing him. It was so cute...and lucky for some of us guests, not quite as out of view as she probably had assumed. Love this pic!

IMG_3292
How handsome is he looking? :)

IMG_3295

IMG_3299

IMG_3311

IMG_3320

IMG_3322

IMG_3353

IMG_3355

IMG_3357
I'm looking a little "deer in the headlights" here...but still a good picture. We are so happy to have these people in our lives forever! :)

IMG_3360

Unfortunately Robby and I had to leave early since he had to work the next day. Did you know Mennonites don't recognize labor day? I sure didn't. Our plan was to drive to KC that night, stay at his sisters, then get up super early the next morning and get him back in time for his 9 am athletic department meeting. Well, in true Dower fashion, I chose to just drive through the night. Growing up my family always drove at night. We would leave for ski trips at 1:00 in the morning, or stay at a wedding until the party was shut down, then just hit the road for our ten hour drive back to Kansas (Katy...that would be your wedding I'm talking about! :)). So when we left the wedding people were taking bets on whether we would do things the Dower way or the Ramseyer way. Since I was doing the driving, there was never any question in my mind which way would prevail. :) We pulled in at exactly 2:59 in the morning and I was so happy we drove through. Robby actually slept all the way from St. Louis to KC and then woke up and we talked for the last three hours home, so it really was a pretty easy drive!

iphone char 009


And the next morning, he headed off to work and I slept in and spent the day in Hutch eating homemade mac and cheese and hanging out with JoeJoeBeans and Mitch!

iphone char 010

iphone char 011

iphone char 013

It was truly a great weekend! I'll be back soon with some updates on my classroom and pics from another wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment