Monday, December 5, 2011

STATE CHAMPIONS!

As I mentioned in my last post, just as soon as we got back from Maui we went straight to Joe Henry's state football game. To be honest, the first thing I did when Ann sent us our flight schedule back in February was check what day and time we got back to see if we would be able to make it back should Hutch High be playing in the state game. And as soon as I knew we would be back, my concerns immediately turned to making it to the state game. We were flying the day of the Bishop Carroll game, but somehow it worked out perfectly to where our hour and a half long layover fell over the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters of the game! We boarded our last flight (just a little 30 minute island jumper) with about two minutes left in the game and Salthawk ball. When we landed I got text confirmation that the Salthawks were headed back to the state game after a one year absence! WOOOO!!! However, as I scrolled through the multiple texts, my excitement quickly changed to a state of freaking out. The text from my mom read "We're on our way to the ER with Joe Henry. I don't want you to worry he is going to be okay, we just need to get some x-rays done. Love you" After playing the whole game, with just a minute and a half left, Joe Joe broke his leg on a play. Of course, I didn't know that for about 30 seconds while I was frantically trying to call members of my family.....I'm sure many people thought that tiny plane has never felt smaller than moment where I yelled spoke into my phone "WHAT HAPPENED?!" Come to find out, it was a horizontal break in on of the bones in his leg. He had to be helped off the field. Below you can see a few pictures taken by a photographer at the game that night as he was coming off the field. I teared up the first time I saw them. Seeing my little big, strong baby brother helped off the field is just almost more than I can take...and I saw it in a picture! I don't know what I would have done if I had been there!

Joe Henry leg2

Joe Henry leg3

Despite the injury, he chose not to cast it so he could still try and snap at the state game. He didn't want to miss the opportunity to suit up for a state championship, and I get that, but all week long I was practically begging my parents to tell him he couldn't play just because it made me so nervous to think of him going out there and getting even more hurt. I see now why it was ok for him to play...but it still gave me a lot of anxiety..just ask Robby! In the end though, Joe suited up, wore a brace (which wouldn't fit under his game shoe, so he wore one game shoe and one practice shoe), and then the trainer taped it up big time.

IMG_5220

He managed to hobble out there to snap the ball for kicks and did just great! Although, again, I teared up every time he would hop/hobble his way out there. I can't help it, I'm an emotional person!

IMG_5174

Every time they would snap I wanted to scream "Watch his leg....WATCH BABY JOE'S LEG!!!!!" But I didn't. Robby and my parents soon informed me that it is against the rules to tackle the snapper...which only made me want to yell, "YOU CAN'T TACKLE THE SNAPPER....DID YOU KNOW THAT....DO NOT TACKLE HIM!!!!" I'm sure they knew that. I still wanted to make sure somebody was reminding them. :)

IMG_5172

Whenever I look at this picture I wish I had gotten video of Joe Henry just hop, hop, hoppin' along. :)

IMG_5180

And then right after the game was over...hopping his way out to celebrate!

IMG_5185

Presentation of the State Trophy to the State Champion Salthawks!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!

IMG_5196

IMG_5200

And now a few pictures from the celebration! YAY!

IMG_5203

I wish Betsy had made it...but the life of a working girl doesn't always mesh with high school football. Drats.

IMG_5206

IMG_5207

Some of Joe Henry's fan section!

IMG_5209

Joe and Savannah with the state trophy.

IMG_5210

IMG_5213

Most of the juniors...

IMG_5240

Beans and some of his best friends...

IMG_5245-2

As always...I'm a very proud older sister. :)

IMG_5252

And last but not least...my favorite boys in the whole world!

IMG_5267

I'm still just so excited for them! Joe turns 17 (What?!) on Wednesday and he will get to spend his birthday at the Salthawk Football banquet celebrating not only his birthday but a state championship! I think Wednesday will be a good day for him. :)

Next up on the list of things to blog...Christmas decorations! I have been slowly adding to my collection and will start posting about all my decorations sometime later this week! :) Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment