Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's coming together...

Slowly but surely I am starting to see our house come together! Yesterday some of our new furniture arrived bright and early. We were told delivery would be between 8 and 10 am and so of course I assumed it would be closer to the 10 am side if not later considering it was coming from the Kansas City area. On a normal summer day I would probably still be in bed, but I had decided to get up and run with Robby that morning before he left for work. Thank goodness...because they rang our doorbell at 8:03 am...and said we were their 5th delivery of the day! Those people don't mess around!

Luckily for us, we didn't need a lot of new furniture to fill the house but we did choose to pick up a few pieces. We treated ourselves to a new king sized bed so that we could use our old bedroom set for the guestroom. We just bought the bed and are using some hand-me down furniture to round out the room. I am excited to try and make our own headboard and re-finish some of the other pieces to try and bring it all together. But more on that later. We were able to outfit the basement with some of furniture from my parents' and it came together really nicely as well. I will do a basement post once I get some pictures on the wall. So really, the only areas we really NEEDED some furniture, was for upstairs. Robby's parents wanted to give us a piece of furniture as a wedding present a year and a half ago. At the time we were living in a rental in KC and I just didn't know where we would put anything new and I didn't want to invest in something that might not work in our next (more permanent) house. So we waited. And I am so glad...because we were able to pick out a dining room table that is perfect for our new space!

One of the great things about not having to work in the summer is all the free time you have. I literally spent my morning in my pajamas adding furniture pads to all the chairs....then setting the table just because I felt like it. Because it is prettier when it is set. And because I had nothing else to do (at least nothing else that sounded as fun as staging the dining room table for a few quick pictures).  I love summer. :)

Robby and I both liked the look of a little bit taller table for this area...and we went with black because we (I) was nervous about picking a wood that was either too matchy matchy with the floor or so opposite that it looked strange. I think the black looks pretty great!

I have some plans for that left wall there. I love that painting...but size wise it is just too small. I'm keeping my eye out at antique stores for a buffet I could refinish in some fun bright color and I'm thinking I might do a gallery wall of sorts above it. If I don't stumble across a buffet here before too long, I plan to just go ahead with the gallery wall to help fill up the space.

Looking in from our living room...once our last piece of new furniture gets here I will post some living room shots and share a little bit about our plans in there!

Looking in from the entry way. If you look close you will see that we are missing one white bowl. It was in the dishwasher...and I was too impatient to wait 30 minutes for it to finish the cycle, so I just photographed without it. :)

Those two little paintings over there may or may not become a part of the aforementioned "gallery wall." But for now...they fit so perfectly on that tiny little wall space.

And lastly, here are a few pictures from the weekend. First up, a picture from Father's Day! We were able to steal Ted away from a WMW Wichita outing for about 45 minutes. It was so good to see him! :)


And here is a picture I took on the way to Hutch. It has literally rained every night we have been here except for two. Despite all the night rains...we have had some beautiful, sunny, blue-skied days. This was one of them! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment